Peachtree Mechanical Inc. was contracted by the Federal Aviation Administration to complete three identical projects in Jacksonville, FL, Hampton, GA, and Leesburg, VA. The project consisted of a complete boiler modernization, installing two new boilers and upgrading the existing system. We were able to upgrade their aged and failing equipment with a newer and more energy efficient system. During this project we had to phase several tasks with the end user to avoid disrupting service to the building. The project required critical path scheduling efforts and daily coordination briefings onsite with the FAA COR. Peachtree Mechanical performed the mechanical and thermal insulation with its own work forces on this project.
The scope of work was as follows:
- Performed asbestos abatement and lead abatement activities.
- Demoed existing boiler flues and electrical power service.
- Removed existing boiler intake and installed a new motorized damper section for combustion air as required.
- Installed two new 60HP hot water boilers complete with new circulating pumps, piping, valves, wiring and DDC controls that all connected to the existing building automation system.
- Installed a new flue system.
- Replaced existing hot water supply and return piping throughout the boiler room.
- Installed new thermal insulation on existing piping as well as new piping.
- Installed a new gas main in the boiler room to feed the existing boilers and the new 60HP boilers.
- Installed gas regulators throughout the facility.
- Installed 3 new vertical turbine pumps in replacement of existing condenser water pumps servicing the cooling towers for the facility.